Tuesday 21 October 2008

Lemon Drizzle cake




After reading about Tana Ramsey's Lemon drizzle cake over on: http://apotofteaandabiscuit.blogspot.com/2008/10/tana-ramseys-lemon-drizzle-cake.html I feel I should finally share with you all the much loved recipe that I always use and also at the same time write up a recipe from one of my many cookery books! It is really lemony, light and fluffy and will keep around 4 days.

I have made this so many times I have lost count now and after taking it to family a while back I am now blamed for weekend baking duties everytime my cousin comes home with an empty tin from Uni! Sorry Auntie!

This originally appears in Baking: Step by Step, published by Starfire, however this is no longer in print and is republished under another similar guise...we found this out when trying to get another copy for another family member! I have slightly re-written the method as the first 3 times making this recipe from the book I got confused and added things at the wrong time!

Ingredients:
Step One:
175g sr flour
125g butter / hard margarine
175g caster sugar
2 pref unwaxed lemons
2 large f/r eggs
Step Two:
2 x 25g gran sugar1) Pre-heat oven to 180o (160o for fan assisted). Beat the butter and caster sugar until fluffy (I use my Kenwood chef as easier)
2) Beat the eggs in a seperate bowl and slowly add, followed by a little of the flour each time until all incorporated
3) Take the first lemon, finely grate the peel (I recommend Microplane) and add to the mix, then juice the lemon and add to the mix, pour into a greased 7 inch square or round tin and smooth over (the original says square but I find it just as good in round tin). Bake for 25 minutes or until a skewer comes away clean, it should be a lovely golden colour
4) Now take 25g of the remaining sugar and place in a small saucepan, grate the rind of the 2nd lemon and reserve, juice the lemon and mix with the sugar and heat until dissolved and starting to go slightly syrupy. Mix the reserved lemon peel with the other 25g of sugar and sprinkle over the cake, prick some holes using a skewer and carefully pour over the syrup - be careful it will be hot! Allow to coool fully and slice as required.

Notes: This is a sticky recipe when you add the topping so is best to use baking parchment, I cheat with Lakelands pre-cut liners! http://www.lakeland.co.uk/baking-parchment-cake-tin-liners/F/keyword/baking+parchment/product/5550_5551)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Anne!

    Made this for my work colleagues today, and it went down a storm! One i'll definitely be doing again shortly, if only so there's some left for the husband to try!!

    thanks again!

    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  2. the secondary school children where i teach love this!!! a great recipe which has become a fast seller when your tryin to raise money for charity!! leanne

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my kitchen! I love to hear your thoughts and comments on my recipes!

Anne

01 09 10