Wednesday 14 January 2015

Sweet Potato and Mozzarella Bake

Finally my horrid germs, apart from last nights coughing- help-cough- I can't breathe - and stumbling in the dark and praying it was Covonia I was downing and not Liquid Senna (I know T.M.I!!) are packing their dirty bags, I am feeling marginally more human like and I am starting to finally work through writing up a few recipes jotted down before Christmas, which now seems like forever ago and I feel suddenly lazy! Where has the time gone?!

Anyway, a few months back I became part of the Happy Egg Co Taste 100 Blogger Network and I got to play with a few packets of lovely free range eggs and hopefully over the next few months I can bring you some egg-citing things on the blog! We go through a lot of eggs in our house as they are so versatile from baking sweet things to more savoury treats including glazing simple sausage rolls or even a simple omelette for dinner so a few eggstra packs of eggs was most welcome!

We only eat free range eggs at home and fortunately more and more people do use them and not ghastly battery farmed ones but its harder to tell when eating out, especially for breakfast. However I do try where possible to choose higher welfare and with free range eggs being easily affordable they play a big role in our diet and a lot of my meal plan! 

We also buy sweet potatoes on a regular basis and I love them fried, boiled, baked and especially turned into falafel but sometimes I buy them too often and I start to run out of ideas of what to do different to them... As a result half a bag was loitering in the salad draw and none of my regular options appealed on the particular chilly evening, whilst I rummaged through the fridge my eyes spotted the bright yellow egg boxes (hard to miss!) and I wondered what could I do with both...
 
From memory we were having a sort of Spanish night and I was frying off some heavenly Padron peppers and throwing together a large pan of my chorizo pepper rice dish and I really fancied something warming and bake like and I decided to make a bake with the eggs and sweet potato, added in some gooey mozzarella and ta dah a star was born!
 
Serves 3-4 
Easy
 
Ingredients:

360g sweet potato
125g mozzarella, roughly torn up
4 large free range eggs
½ tbsp. dried oregano
Salt and pepper, to taste
½ red onion, finely sliced
1 tsp smoked paprika
Butter or oil spray for greasing dish

Method:

Slice the sweet potato into ½ cm discs, place in a steamer bag or similar device and steam in the microwave for 6 minutes or until a knife goes through easily or in a regular steamer for about 18 minutes.
 
 
Heat 1 tsp oil in a frying pan and brown the onion slices until golden. 
 
Beat the eggs with the oregano, salt and pepper. Place the cooked sweet potato slices in a baking dish - something like a pie dish will suit, alternating with the mozzarella, scatter over the red onion slices and pour over the prepared batter.  Sprinkle over the smoked paprika.
Bake for 40 minutes in a hot oven or until golden and bubbling
 
The finished bake was delicious and warming, whilst feeling nourishing with the gorgeous orange hue of the sweet potatoes and purple onion slivers adorning the top which adds a little welcome colour to a blustery wintery night!
 
 
I have sent my Sweet Potato and Mozzarella Bake over to this months Vegetable Palette challenge at Allotment 2 Kitchen:
 
 
 

6 comments:

  1. This sounds lovely and it must have gone really well with the padron peppers. I haven't had them for ages and reading this has reminded me to try and get hold of some soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks lovely, i love sweet potatoes so think I will have to give this a go :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love sweet potato. and mozzarella... this is definitely going into my recipe bookmarks folder!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Anne for sharing this with #Vegetable Palette. the round up should be up tomorrow. We buy free-range eggs, and have used Happy eggs in the past too. I like the look of this recipe, like you I seem to have sweet potatoes at home, so who knows - may just make this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne,
      I made this and it was a big hit with my husband. I did adapt the recipe a little though, so hope you approve. http://allotment2kitchen.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/sweet-potato-and-cheese-bake.html

      Delete
  5. Sounds great, I like it with a lot of cheese. Probably it will be nice if doing this to yam and pumpkin too. Also, maybe try to sprinkle some raisins. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my kitchen! I love to hear your thoughts and comments on my recipes!

Anne

01 09 10