Wednesday 22 February 2012

Ham and Mushroom Omelette, Weight Watchers style

As previously promised in my semi-recent Weight Watchers posting, and in my other omelette post I have made my first recipe from the book. Well sort of anyway! As with most recipes I use, I tweaked it a little as to what I had in but the basic elements are the same, and it was really good! Adding water to eggs admittedly had my brain questioning slightly but I kept my faith and actually produced I think one of the nicest omelettes I’ve ever made. The fact it was also cooked in a rather battered inherited frying pan, on the ancient electric cooker that belongs to the property I’ve just moved into, was even more of a good surprise!

It made a perfect lunch, not too heavy and yet very satisfying. Definitely a keeper. The original recipe uses soft cheese but I only had some natural yoghurt to hand and sneaked in a tsp of grated cheese instead! Whilst cheese isn't sadly high up on the list of health foods, I use a coarse grater for small amounts and find a little goes a long way (nearly 18 months on I am still completely in love with my Jamie one!). Since making this one, I have made many an omelette using this method. They are a perfectly quick and light meal for one, and full of goodness.

Adapted from 'The Complete Kitchen' by Weight Watchers, which is available now to buy

Ham and Mushroom omelette

2 large eggs, whisked with 1 tbsp cold water and black pepper to taste
1 slice good quality ham, any visible fat removed and roughly chopped up
Spray cooking oil
2 Tbsp low fat plain yoghurt
1 tsp or so grated cheese
4 chestnut mushrooms, sliced thickly

Heat a frying pan, spray with oil and fry the mushrooms until cooked to your liking, transfer to a bowl and stir in the yoghurt and season with black pepper.


Spray a little more oil into the pan, add the beaten egg mixture and leave for around 20 seconds to set, gently scrape in the sides and level out, when the egg is almost set on top, sprinkle over the ham. 


Carry on cooking gently, spoon the mushroom mixture over half of the omelette, sprinkle over the cheese and carefully fold over the other half to form your omelette, transfer to a plate and serve with a nice green salad. And pickles if desired. I have a thing for pickled red cabbage!



Many thanks to Juliette at Shiny Red for the review copy.

2 comments:

  1. the best tip I got from the Weightwatchers book was the idea of using an oil sprayer. Use it all the time now! For frying and for cake pans!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent recipe, can't wait to try it out!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my kitchen! I love to hear your thoughts and comments on my recipes!

Anne

01 09 10