Thursday 3 November 2011

Pork Loins with a Red onion and Date sauce

Dates always remind me of Christmas (Is it too early to mention the C word?) as I remember my mum buying packets of Eat-me' ones in the market and they seemed to hang around for ages! Though as I got older I developed a real taste for them, and to me they are now like eating sweets.

I’d never really thought about using dates in savoury cooking before but when planning what to cook for dinner for when my brother came over the other night; post visiting the market and coming away with 3 packets of dates for a bargain price of one pound, this idea came to me, and I kind of winged it from there!


I didn’t really measure anything (no surprise there!) but have tried to remember what quantities I added. Will update if I think of anything else! 

Makes enough for two portions
Ready in 15 minutes

3 pork loin steaks  - I’m a girl and had one, two for my brother!
½ red onion, sliced thinly
6 dates, soaked in hot water for 15 minutes
Fresh mint to garnish
100ml or so of light vegetable stock (I always use marigold bouillon)
1 heaped tsp cornflour, made up with a tbsp of water
Spray oil

Fry the onion until softened over a moderate heat, push to the side of the pan and add the pork steaks and use a small plate or similar to weigh down, fry for about 4-5 minutes on each side, until cooked through and nicely coloured, re-distribute the onions, stir in the dates, and stock, bring to the boil and simmer for a couple of minutes, stir in the cornflour mixture, allow to bubble up stirring continuously until the sauce has thickened, and serve.

The pork would be lovely served with rice, but I was experimenting with some spare ingredients so ended up with minted aubergine slices, and a packet of new potatoes in garlic butter!


Overall it was a very tasty, quick and simple dish and I will be definitely using dates again in cooking, rather than sitting and eating them all straight from the packet! 


3 comments:

  1. Great idea! I'd like mine with rice please! ;-))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love dates, that looks very good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anna- Rice would be perfect with this!

    Janice - I think I'm addicted to them!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my kitchen! I love to hear your thoughts and comments on my recipes!

Anne

01 09 10