Thursday 14 August 2014

Spicy Chorizo and Egg Fried Wholegrain Rice

Fried rice in some sort of variation is a staple meal in our household. Fitting easily into a busy lifestyle, its also a great way to use up odds and ends from the fridge too! I really hate wasting anything so it’s a perfect mid-week meal and whilst having spare cooked rice is very handy, it also if not properly chilled and stored can harbour bad things that we really don’t need to eat and whilst it’s a bit of a cheat the Veetee rice trays are a great store cupboard standby! Its quick and easy to make a meal using them and most importantly delicious!

Veetee sent me a box full of goodies (along with some stunning rice bowls that have left me coveting the rest of the range, shown in the last image below!) with the challenge to create a meal using either their Wholegrain or Egg Fried rice trays. Brown rice can be somewhat, earthy and rather too wholesome I find but theirs was surprisingly light and very tasty, stir frying in two minutes meant dinner was on the table in under ten minutes! Very welcome after a late afternoon spent baking all sorts ahead of the weekend to be able to produce something tasty and fuss free!


Now its not often I confess that I have bought ready cooked rice, I find rice so simple to cook anyway its really no bother, plus previous ready versions I have found can be a bit unpleasant texture wise and even worse when they have gone cold. However I was very pleased to discover that the Veetee rice tasted just as good as home cooked rice, exactly as it should be. Its also produced safely and so you can trust that the rice is safe to be re-heated. Cooking for yourself is one thing but when serving to friends and family of all ages you have to be certain of these things! I had heard through friends about Veetee's rice products before how good they were, so it was great to get play with them myself!


Spicy Chorizo and Egg Fried Wholegrain Rice


Serves 2
Quick and Easy

Ingredients:

1 x Veetee Wholegrain rice tray
60g Chorizo, halved lengthways and sliced ¼ cm pieces
2 Spring onions, finely sliced – separate the greener bits into one pile and whitey bits in another pile
½ orange pepper, chopped finely
1 egg
½ green chilli, finely chopped
1 tsp coconut oil
S&P

Beat the egg lightly with a pinch of salt and pepper, stir through half the green sliced onion.



Heat the oil in a large frying pan until melted, add the beaten egg quickly swirling around the pan to form a flat thin omelette. Remove onto a chopping board and roll up tightly.

Meanwhile heat the pan with a little more oil if required and stir fry the chorizo slices, spring onion white parts and pepper for 4-5 minutes or until the chorizo has released its lovely oil and the vegetables are lightly browned and stir through the rice and chilli. Heat through, season to taste and toss together for 2-3 minutes and serve in your pretty bowls or one big pasta plate for your man!


Slice the reserved omelette finely and sprinkle over with any remaining spring onion to garnish.

Mr B's serving bowl!


My pretty serving bowl!
As mentioned at the beginning of my post, fried rice is great for using up leftovers and odd's n ends and this took care of two neglected spring onions, half a pack of abandoned chorizo and the last lonely egg from the fridge and so I am sending it over to Elizabeth's Kitchen Diary No Waste Food challenge, held by Laura over at 'I'd much rather bake Than' this month. (You can see my July round-up here).


As my rice dinner was also super quick to prepare and cook, plus it stretches out a small amount of Chorizo, I am also sending it over to this months Credit Crunch Munch, created by Camilla and Helen, and held by Elizabeth's Kitchen Diary for August.


Many thanks to Gemma and Harriet at Phipps, and to Veetee for my samples.


Disclaimer: The recipe and images remain the property of Anne’s Kitchen and must not be reproduced without written consent. I received no payment and all opinions are my own.

5 comments:

  1. Yummy rice dish Anne and I want bowls like that too! Thanks for entering #creditcrunchmunch:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooo, I love egg fried rice (homemade that is, takeaway is far too greasy for me) and I love chorizo even more but I have never thought of putting them together. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely quick midweek dinner idea. Thanks for linking up with the No Waste Food Challenge and Credit Crunch Munch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a freelancer, I VERY often end up doing very quick, cheap, easy lunches .... and more than often it's grains and an egg. I love it! I started off with very basic bi bim bap, and have now worked my way through all sorts of grain variations, and all different styles of egg. Thanks for this one though, will definitely add to my repertoire!

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds lovely this, will be giving this ago over the weekend. Thanks for posting.

    Simon

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my kitchen! I love to hear your thoughts and comments on my recipes!

Anne

01 09 10