Monday 16 July 2012

A bit on the side - fresh tomato sauce


A few weeks back when I received my Forman and Field goodies, on behalf of Knorr included in the box was two tomatoes. These were intended for the chicken chausseur recipe but as previously mentioned I was just not feeling the love for that particular recipe at the time, and so was left with two good sized ripe tomatoes to play with. .

On health advice I tend to abstain from tomatoes for the past year or so but have been gently re-introducing them to my diet and gosh how I have missed them! Bursting with their sweetness and their versatility they are such a great ingredient both raw and when cooked and for a few brief moments I wondered what on earth I was going to do with them!

The main course that night was my previously blogged crispy roast chicken, so I needed something to serve alongsid and came up with this delicious tomato sauce. It was very easy to make, and very delicious to eat! The sauce would also make a great accompaniment to steak or fish.

Serves two as a side dish

Ingredients:

Two medium sized tomatoes
1 tbsp olive oil
1 finely sliced shallot
heaped tbsp of chopped curly parsley
a pinch of salt and black pepper

Place a cross on the top of the tomatoes and put in a bowl of boiling water for around a minute, carefully remove from the water, skin them, remove the seeds and dice the flesh. 

Gently heat the oil in a small frying pan, add the shallot and soften without browning, stir in the tomato flesh and parsley, season to taste.

Gently cook for around 5 minutes or until the tomato flesh is soft and cooked through but without colouring. Garnish with a little extra parsley on serving


1 comment:

  1. As a tomato lover I can imagine how hard it must be to have to abstain from these delicious fruits. By the way, I make my tomato sauce almost the same way.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my kitchen! I love to hear your thoughts and comments on my recipes!

Anne

01 09 10