Monday 22 November 2010

Bramley Apple Bundt Cake

This new, and favourite cake recipe came about last week after having 2 bramley apples left to use up from a bag I'd been given, a last minute invite to family to come over for dinner, and being unable to quickly locate a recipe I liked/ had the ingredients for; I adapted a basic sponge recipe into this delicious apple cake, it came out far better than I had anticipated and made for a moist and delicious treat, best served warm with lashings of custard or even cold for breakfast the next morning!

With regards to the cake sticking to the tin, I still haven’t found a failsafe way to line a bundt tin (Lakelands – please make a suitable liner!) so it did stick a little in parts, but with custard poured over it on serving up, it masked a multitude of sins!!
I honestly think this is one of the nicest cakes I have made, it ticked all the boxes for me and I greedily polished the remains off with an alarming speed!
Requires 1 Bundt tin (round with a funnel in the middle)
Ingredients

2 medium sized bramley apples
3 eggs – about 195g
195g self raising flour
195g butter/ stork margarine
1 heaped tsp ground cinnamon
1tsp baking powder
2 tbsp demerara sugar
195g light brown muscavado sugar
Juice of one small lemon

Pre-heat the oven to 160 fan, 180 standard
Grease and flour your tin, sprinkle over 1 tbsp of the demerara sugar. Core, peel and slice your apples into roughly 2 cm slices, about 1/2 cm thick, and toss in the lemon juice, use a few to make a thin layer over the sugar:

Cream the butter and muscavado sugar together, beat in the flour, cinnamon and baking powder, then the eggs one by one, until all mixed together, spoon over 1/2 the mixture over the base. Make a layer with the remaining apples and remaining demerara sugar:


Place in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until springy to touch and a skewer comes away clean. Allow to cool in the tin for about 15 minutes, carefully turn upside down onto a cooling rack, my tin has a springform clip which helps to loosen. Gently tap it until it releases, a teaspoon will help loosen any stubborn parts! Mine did break a little but as mentionned above, custard does a great cover up!

Here's a picture showing the apple layer inside:
I accept no responsibility if you eat it all in one sitting.

6 comments:

  1. Looks fab Anne - bundt cakes always look great I think and I love the big chunks of apple in yours. I can just imagine a big piece with plenty of custard - yum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Anne, the problem you mention with the cake sticking to this tin is the same problem I had with my plum cake and then the second time I made it I just lined the bottom of it, and buttered and floured the sides like you have here and it was fine.

    Lining the bottom did seem to help a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, just lovely! Custard on mine please Anne :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was really nice meeting you tonight! Is this the apple cake you were talking about? It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. C - this is definately made for having with custard!

    azélias kitchen - my tin has little curves in the base for shaping, if I line it then they won't show unfortunately, thanks for the tip anyway :) Your plum cake sounds good!

    Jacqueline - It really was, I know I am byast but this cake is still calling me!

    Made with pink - Yes! This is the cake we were talking about! Hope you like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ummmmm!!!. They seem quite delicious. Never tried them although,Ooooh, looks so good!
    I'm going to look up in your previous posts for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my kitchen! I love to hear your thoughts and comments on my recipes!

Anne

01 09 10