Monday 20 July 2009

Choc chip and banana muffins

This morning I woke up, walked into our lounge to be greeted with the smell of banana's - a sure sign they were on the turn, I hate wasting anything and immediately thought of my favourite banana bread recipe from the Avoca book; however my loaf tin is still wedged down the back of the kitchen cupboard and my banana recipe repertoire is very limited!

A thought crossed my mind about making muffins instead, based on the Avoca recipe, wishing for a second opinion, I tweeted my query and Alex thought it would work too! I was mainly wary following a less successful chocolate apple muffin recipe last week, however I am very pleased to report the experiment was successful! I've made a couple of minor tweaks to the original recipe and I'm really pleased with the result, so much so I have managed to devour one sitting here, typing this up!

Makes 9 muffins
Prep 5 minutes
Cooking 25 minutes

210g plain flour
1 heaped tsp baking powder
15g cocoa powder
handful choc chips - I had white and plain, reserve a couple for topping
2 large banana's, mashed
1 egg, beaten
75ml sunflower oil
110g golden caster sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
pinch salt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Pre-heat oven to Fan 160/ normal 180

Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, cinnamon, baking powder and sugar. Gently mix in the egg, oil, vanilla - do not beat - use a fork to mash and stir the banana's and choc chips in, spoon into muffin cases. If desired, sprinkle a few extra choc chips on top and bake for about 25 minutes or until a skewer comes away clean.

Allow to cool slightly and transfer to a cooling rack. Now you can watch the clock until they are cool enough to eat!

I imagine custard would be a wonderful companion for these!! However its only 11am and possibly too early for custard...and I've eaten a lot of custard recently!..Though I don't think you can ever have too much custard...



On the new job front, all is going well! I am off today as I worked the weekend, is tiring but I'm enjoying it!

x

6 comments:

  1. Dear God, what a genius idea. Sounds like a really fab combination. And looks yummy. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne, those muffins sound and look wonderfully delish!

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband will love these muffins...chocolate and banana...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a really good idea, they look delicious!

    I'm sorry to hear you loaf tin's still stuck! I think maybe you'll have to let it go and buy a new one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those muffins do look delicious Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love your blog
    join us at http://en.petitchef.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my kitchen! I love to hear your thoughts and comments on my recipes!

Anne

01 09 10