Wednesday 26 August 2015

Pan Fried Basa with a creamy Courgette and Chorizo Sauce

Over the years after many trials and tribulations I have become far more confident with cooking fish successfully, and this time I won the jackpot! I loved everything about this dish, it was dreamt up and fortunately it was a very good dream! The creamy sauce, with smoky chorizo and fresh chunks of sweet courgette works so well with the Basa, a relatively plain, affordable white fish that's ideal for this dish. It was a dish I would be happy to order and eat in a good restaurant!

I tried to keep the dish relatively simple, we had no cream in and as we car share during the week, and B was not home from work yet, so a little improvisation was on the cards! I wondered to myself if I could substitute with a little milk and it worked a treat! By the time it had cooked, and a little flour to thicken it was a really good consistency, smooth and cream like without being heavy or claggy (not often manage to use that word!! I used both dill and thyme in the dish in different stages, partly down to indecision! I wanted the earthy thyme with the rich chorizo but had some lovely fresh dill leftover from a fish pie I made on saturday - in the end I cooked the thmye at the start with the chorizo and then the dill went in to finish the dish. If you can't get any fresh dill I would suggest just use extra thyme leaves instead.

Another bonus is that its also cooked all in one pan so less to wash up! Alongside the fish I made sweet potato mash - always a winner!! Even more so when it involves my beloved Masha toy! If you hate mashing (or have evil elbow joints!) then its a god-send and takes no effort and is surprisingly therapeutic! I've had mine a few years now and wouldn't be without it! 

Serves 2
Easy
Under 30 minutes

Ingredients:

2 Basa fillets (approx. 260g), halved across the middle
70g chorizo, finely sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 large beef tomato, chopped
1 courgette, halved and sliced
2 tbsp plain flour
Sea salt and black pepper
50g butter
1 heaped tbsp. fresh thyme leaves, chopped
1 heaped tbsp. fresh dill leaves, chopped
200ml milk

Sweet Potato Mash:
2 medium sweet potatoes
1 white potato
Salt and pepper



1) Place the flour on a shallow plate and season with salt and pepper, pat the fish dry on kitchen towel and then coat well in the flour mix (don’t discard the flour mix!)

2) Meanwhile boil the potatoes in salted water for 15 minutes, then drain well. 

3) Heat a tsp of the butter in a large saute pan, fry the chorizo and courgettes gently for 3 minutes until starting to colour nicely, add the tomato and fry for a further 2 minutes, add the thyme leaves and stir through, remove everything using a slotted spoon and keep warm.

4) Add the butter to the pan, melt down over a moderate heat, add the fish pieces in a single layer and fry for 3 minutes, turn over and fry for a further 2 minutes until crispening, spooning over the buttery juices, push to one side of the pan and add the prepared chorizo veggie mix, pour in the milk and simmer for a minute, make a well and sparingly scatter 1 tbsp of the flour mix and cook for a couple of minutes, stirring the sauce constantly until thickened. Add the dill and stir through.

5) Drain the potatoes, and mash, season to taste.

6) Serve up the mash on one side of your plate, with the veggie bits on the other side and gently place the fish on top. Scatter over a little sprinkle of dill leaves to garnish.




My dish was quite frugal and so I am sending my dish into this months Credit Crunch Munch - my Basa was bought half price reduced and my thyme leaves can from my 13p reduced plant! The tomatoes and dill were also bought over by dad so were free to me! This month it was run by Food Glorious Food. It was set up by Fab Food 4 All and Fuss Free Flavours to promote frugal recipes and cooking.



Also I snuck in a lonely, slightly soft tomato and cooked the courgettes all together in the sauce to boost veggie content with minimal washing up! I have entered it in Jen's Food Extra Veg Challenge, created by Fuss Free Flavours and Utterly Scrummy Food for Families:


Last but not least my first entry to Cook Blog Share! This week its held by Sneaky Veg ( I love the name!)



15 comments:

  1. I love fish and I love chorizo, a great way to enjoy both. Really nice recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janice - I first had the spicy meat/ fish combo at a food show and instantly converted! Glad you like it too!

      Delete
  2. I'm all about fish dishes at the moment as a lighter alternative to meat. This looks like a great easy mid-week recipe that is easy on the budget too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jemma, I adore fish too, much lighter on the digestion! Its a very quick and easy dish for such a lovely dinner!

      Delete
  3. Mmm a fantastic combination! I've never tried basa but it looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its sold often as a frozen 'white fish' too, makes a great affordable base!

      Delete
  4. I think basa soaks up the flavours of a good sauce really well and this sounds like a lovely dish. Real comfort food too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like Basa too Corina, agree its versatile :) Comfort food but with minimal effort!

      Delete
  5. Thanks so much for joining in #cookblogshare this week - hope we see you again! This dish looks really tasty - I've never even heard of basa though so will have to investigate our fish section.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mandy, - was great to find you, I will be back soon! Do investigate :)

      Delete
  6. I love chorizo and the depth of flavour that it adds to dishes. I love adding it to chicken but will definitely try it with fish! x #CookBlogShare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kirsty - the chorizo flavour goes really well with the fish, do try!

      Delete
  7. A lovely recipe Anne, and well done on the reduced fish! Thank for sharing with both #CreditCrunchMunch and #ExtraVeg

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds great - I always love the fish/chorizo combination

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my kitchen! I love to hear your thoughts and comments on my recipes!

Anne

01 09 10