Use either 7" or 8" sandwich tin
2/3 large free range eggs - should weigh around 205g, use this as your base figure
same weight in butter/ stork marg
same in caster sugar or golden caster sugar
same weight in sr flour
about 4 heaped tbsp desicated coconut
1.5 tbsp cocoa powder
pre-heat oven to 180o
1) cream marg with the sugar till fluffy
2) add the flour slowly until all mixed
3) beat in the eggs until all creamy
4) add the cocoa and coconut, mix and pour into two lined sandwich pansbake for about 20-25 mins until it bounces back and a cocktail stick comes out clear, leave to stand then turn onto wire racks when cool,
5) sandwich together with lots of strawberry, raspberry jam or blackcurrant jam goes wonderfully.
for topping, either dust with icing sugar or make a quantity of glace icing, about 6 tbsp icing sugar mixed with a little boiling water until smooth and pourable, (mixed with a pinch of cocoa powder for colour if wanted) spread quickly over the cake and sprinkle over more desicated coconut as required, place half a glace cherry in the middle or you could cover with fondant icing but I find it too fiddly!
Is lovely with a mug of tea the following day!
This also doubles up well, an average springform tin you are looking at respective measurements of 390g. Just lower temperature by 15-20 degrees (depends on how hot your oven is) and cook for about an hour nd 10 minutes or until it passes the skewer test.