Prep 20 + 10 mins
Cooking time approx 25 minutes.
1 tsp olive oil
2 Large shallots (optional)
3 Rashers smoked bacon, fat trimmed off
4 large eggs
Dash of milk
40g grated medium mature cheddar
Salt and pepper
250g short-crust pasty (puff for a lighter version)
200g frozen spinach defrosted and roughly chopped (press out any excess water in a sieve)
2 tbsp tomato puree
1) Line a quiche/ flan dish with pastry to the edges, blind bake until firm approx 10-15 minutes.
2) Whilst in the oven, roughly chop bacon and shallots and pan fry in oil for about 4-5 minutes until bacon is cooked through and shallots golden, add chopped spinach and cook for about 4 more minutes.
3) In a separate bowl, beat the eggs, 3/4 of the cheese, butter and milk. Season well and put to one side.
4) Remove the pastry dish from the oven once firm, spread the tomato paste over the base, add the spinach and bacon mix, smooth out then pour over the eggs and cheese to cover all of the filling. Sprinkle on the remaining cheese.
5) Return to oven for approx 25 mins until golden and firm. (N.b middle will rise up quite a lot so allow for space in the oven but flattens on standing.
Serve with a fresh green salad
This is a gorgeous dish and one of my favourites, has had excellent feedback and is great hot or cold