Wednesday 22 June 2016

Pulled Pork with FODMAP Ginger Barbecue Sauce

Since my last posting, about starting a FODMAP diet in order to try and figure out some of my ongoing digestive 'issues', it sent me into a bit of well, frankly a meltdown! I think trying to start anything that has such a big impact on everything, combined with a super busy time at work, plus being rather hormonal at the time, it was just heading for a disaster!! I did mention I was on the edge of a meltdown previously and I have never cried in a super market but it came very, very close the following day!! One thing I've learned, is do not go shopping when hungry and whilst doing FODMAP!! Nothing will be suitable and you will only be sad and disappointed!! Not to mention quite close to pretty much offending anyone you love! (Sorry B!)

So, towards the end of last week, in an attempt to get back on plan, afterall on the days I did follow it I REALLY noticed a difference digestively, planning was key in it all and with Father's Day fast approaching and the thought of navigating a restaurant menu bought me out in a cold sweat, I knuckled down and after poring over the FODMAP books, again I decided to do pulled pork.Meat after all is easy, the sauce is where it gets interesting... pretty much any ready made sauce, condiment or flavouring is very much on the no list, and so I decided to make a FODMAP friendly barbecue sauce...

Starting was the hardest part - how to do it without any garlic-honey or onions! Previously I have relied on my trusty 'Winter Barbecue sauce' but couldn't make it due to the aforementioned 'banned' items, along with also not being able to have dates or apple, that sauce was doomed. Also another no go was the sauce I make for my pasta! What to do?!! It was time to start a clean slate, wave goodbye to my beloved garlic and embrace a new food challenge... and its time to say hello...to... Mr Celery! He will be your new friend!! It substitutes very well for when you would normally be browning your onions etc! The spice Hing was also recommended by my dietitian as a sort of replacement to the flavour that onion gives - I am not entirely sure on quantities but thought would start with half a teaspoon and go from there!!


Fortunately all the hard work paid off and its actually a pretty low maintenance dish whilst still being delicious! The sauce was really tasty, with a sweet smoky depth and also fresh tasting and no one missed the onion or garlic, including my brother commenting it wasn't bloating compared to a regular version. This sauce is now definitely my base sauce!! I adore ginger and would eat it in copious quantities, though the overall finish of the dish is not very gingery at all, if it was just for me I would of added some extra ground ginger!

For the pork - it takes a long time to cook, so plan appropriately. I woke at 6am Sunday morning to put mine in the oven, I recommend a later time but it depends on your guests schedule...


Serves lots - maybe 8? Depends on greed of guests!

Ingredients

Approx 2 kg joint Pork shoulder
1 x 440ml can ginger beer (check label, mine was from Tesco)
1 tin good quality plum tomatoes, chopped
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 stick celery, finely chopped
25g dark soft brown sugar
2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
2 bay leaves
1 heaped tsp English mustard powder
1/2 tsp hing (also known as Asafoetida)
1 heaped tsp smoked paprika
4 heaped tsp tomato puree concentrate (roughly 1/2 a small tin)
1/2 bunch fresh coriander, shredded

You will need a roasting bag OR lots of foil

Oven 150o (mine is still broken but medium!)

Place the pork joint in the roasting bag and tip in just under half the can of ginger beer (save the rest), seal and place in a baking tin. Or do equivalent making a tight foil bag around the pork. Place in the oven and roast for 6-7 hours or until cooked through and falling apart almost just by simply staring at it.

For the sauce -roughly 3 hours before the pork is going to be ready:

Heat the oil in a medium sized saucepan to medium/ hot heat, fry the celery for 4-5 minutes or until starting to brown, add the red wine vinegar and simmer until most of the liquid has evaporated.

Stir in the bay, smoked paprika, hing, mustard,sugar and tomato puree and saute for about 3 minutes until well incorporated and its a lovely reddish brown colour, stir in the chopped tomatoes and most of the remaining ginger beer (I couldn't resist a sneaky sip!), cover and reduce the heat down low. Simmer for a good 2 1/2 hours, giving the odd stir.

When the sauce is done, stir through 2/3 of the chopped coriander, leaving the prettier leaves for garnish. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Remove the pork from the oven, cut open the bag/ open the foil up and fold back the sides. Lift the pork onto a suitable chopping board (I have one with a drainage area purely for these dishes!) Drain off most of the liquid into a jug and use a little to enhance the barbecue sauce - maybe 1/2 a cup or so at the most.

Remove the rind from the pork - if you want crackling, scrape off most of the loose fat, and return to the oven on a thin baking tray until done to a desired crunch. (I am not a fan but my dad and brother are far more fond of crackling)

Using forks (and maybe a large knife to hack into chunks first), shred the pork into a deep sided baking dish.

Pour over the prepared sauce and return to the oven for about 25 minutes to warm through.

Garnish with remaining coriander leaves and feast! We had ours with a mountain of fodmap suitable roasted veggies and roasted new potatoes





































NB:
Do not attempt FODMAP diet without consulting a registered dietitian.
OR when in crazy busy month.
I am also very new to this whole diet thing so tailor to your own individual needs and follow advice given by your dietitian!
*Celery is not to be eaten in large quantities on FODMAP but I used a small amount, spread across a large amount of sauce

8 comments:

  1. I remember having a friend over for dinner not so long ago and planning to serve her pizza with onion chutney on it. She patiently explained that she could not eat it as was on FODMAP diet which was completely new to me. She went on to explain a bit about it and like you she was experiencing frustration about what to cook and eat. Hope you find your way with it - this pulled pork looks totally delicious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh yeah no pizza yet alone onion chutney!! You were brave inviting her over, I've told everyone don't cook for me!
      The pork was amazing and I am growing my FODMAP friendly repertoire but its hard work! :)

      Delete
  2. Pork cooked in gingerbeer with paprika - oh yes please. I have never ever heard of the fodmap diet butg ood luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it is a winning combination -so tasty! I hope you never have to try fodmap!

      Delete
  3. This looks delicious, good luck with the FODMAP diet. Sounds difficult but hopefully will help you.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) Its trying but am getting there! Looking forward to the elimination phase and I can eat real pasta again!

      Delete
  4. I can really understand the meltdown. This really doesn't sound even vaguely easy but I'm really hoping it helps. This pork sound wonderful, so good food is still possible. Although I've used hing/asafoetida before, it's never been in a dish like this and maybe I've been missing something. (I admire your 6am Sunday start, but I may not emulate it).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, the pork dish was a definite first success - am still hit and miss but getting there with other dishes and discovering a few new things too! I was advised to try the hing but not sure still how much to put in or what difference it has made!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by my kitchen! I love to hear your thoughts and comments on my recipes!

Anne

01 09 10