Wednesday 14 July 2010

Baked Haddock with a creamy Spinach & Prawn sauce

Whilst I love eating fresh fish its not something I cook very often and when I do cook it, I tend to stick to the limited dishes I know (salmon with a simple marinade or home made fish fingers!), however yesterday I had my lovely niece Alice (and keen foodie!) around for dinner after school, and after a trip round Sainsburys putting random stuff in the basket, we came up with this gorgeous fishy dish for our dinner. We thoroughly enjoyed it and sure you will all too!

Its perfect for a weeknight or even for when entertaining guests, easy to make and the sauce would work just as well on other similar style of fish.

Ingredients:

3 Skin on boneless haddock fillets
10 cherry / pomodorino tomatoes or similar (we had a mix of red and yellow)
1 big handful grated mature cheddar
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp olive oil
4 heaped tbsp ½ fat, preferably organic crème fraiche
150g small cooked peeled prawns
140g fresh spinach leaves
S & p
Fresh basil leaves, torn to garnish

Pre-heat the oven to 170 fan/ 190 normal

1) Wilt the spinach leaves in a saucepan, place into a sieve and squeeze any excess water out, chop finely and leave to one side, save the pan for later

2) Place the fish fillets skin side down on a lightly greased baking tray with the tomatoes, baked for about 9-10 minutes until almost cooked through


3) Gently heat the oil in the pan, add the garlic and warm through for about 30 seconds, add the chopped spinach and creme fraiche and warm through for 2-3 minutes without boiling, add half the cheese and the prawns, mix well and season. Spoon the mixture over the fish, top with remaining cheese

 4)  Return to the oven and bake for a further 10 minutes or until cooked through and lightly golden on top, serve immediately.


We served ours with these lovely chilli cheese wedges but simply boiled new potatoes would work equally well.

4 comments:

  1. This looks delicious Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks lovely! I'd try this without the prawns (they give me the fear). Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haddock is one of my favourite kinds of fish and I know I would really enjoy this, especially when it's topped with all that lovely cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi , its alice!!! i loved it soo much anne xxx hope u will enjoy this food xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my kitchen! I love to hear your thoughts and comments on my recipes!

Anne

01 09 10