Sunday 17 July 2011

Crab, Red pepper and Potato cakes

I had some leftover mashed potato the other week and after trying to decide on what to make with it I came up with these cakes (patties?), mainly as I had a tin of white crabmeat in the cupboard, and not much else!

Whilst these would benefit from a little chilli perhaps, unfortunately I have had to pretty much give up anything spicy or tomato based due to ongoing stomach issues, however these were still quite tasty, both hot for dinner, and the next day eaten cold in my lunchbox with a salad.

As with a lot of recipes lately I’ve been making, I have been trying to make them slightly healthier and instead of pan-frying the fishcakes, I simply sprayed with oil and baked on a non-stick sheet in the oven, which worked perfectly. Next time around I will leave them to firm up in the fridge for a while, as they were a little too flexible on turning over halfway through cooking!

Makes 9 patties – serves 2

1 tin white crabmeat
2 spring onions, finely sliced
Quantity of leftover cold mashed potato – about 300g
½ cup or so of Fine breadcrumbs
Spray oil
2 tbsp plain flour
½ red pepper, finely chopped
S&P

Pre-heat the oven to 180o fan/ 200 regular

Fry the red pepper for a couple of minutes with a little of the spray oil, until lightly browned, remove from the heat

Mix together all of the ingredients, excluding the flour and breadcrumbs, and season with salt and pepper (taking into account if the mash has already been seasoned!), form into small patties, dust lightly with flour and press onto the breadcrumbs, place on a lined and greased baking tray.


Spray with a little more oil and bake for approx. 25 minutes, turning halfway.


Serve with sweet chilli sauce to dip into.

5 comments:

  1. They look very good!
    I like the fact you can bake them instead of frying them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look great. I agree that some chilli would really make them zing but you have to put your health first!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tinned crab meat is such a good cupboard staple. I wound if you couold add a few chopped caperes for some extra oomph? Sympathies on the lack of chilli - I hope the tum settles soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look delicious. I know I really should try baking these type of things but Ialways end up frying as it's quicker.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm crazy about crabcakes, I always order them if they're on the menu. Got two tins in my storecupboard right now... I agree with the caper suggestion above, or cornichons. LOVELY

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my kitchen! I love to hear your thoughts and comments on my recipes!

Anne

01 09 10