Monday 21 February 2011

Nigella's Crustless Pizza

Oh my, its another Nigella recipe for you! I hadn't planned to post three Nigella recipes in a row but after making this last night, I couldn't wait to post it! So far out of my extensive cookery book collection, I’ve already cooked at least 6 recipes in the 2 months since getting this book, surely a record for me!

When I originally watched Nigella make this on TV I remember being curious as to what the finished result would be like, as I was thinking cheesy Yorkshire pudding hmm...  Fear not my friends, it really is delicious, and it does not taste like a Yorkshire pudding gone wrong! Its beautifully light, cheesy and delicious! Imagine a slightly more substantial omelette .. This is a definite keeper recipe, it takes minutes to assemble and I can see it featuring often on my weekly meal planner!

Once again, I think my dish was a wee bit smaller than Nigella’s recommendation for using a pie dish - I used my Le Creuset pie dish but other than being a bit more voluptuous during its cooking it came out perfectly.

The original recipe recommends topping with pepperoni or similar, and whilst I'm sure it would be delicious; I had forgotten to add it to my shopping list and so instead I added a handful of quartered cherry tomatoes to the batter mix, which worked perfectly. They add a little bit of moisture and you really cannot go wrong with cheese and tomato together!

Easy

Serves 2-4 (we had half each)

1 egg
100g plain flour
250ml milk
Pinch salt
5 quartered cherry tomatoes
Butter for greasing
100g grated cheese – I used farmhouse mature

Pre-heat your oven, 200/ gas 6/ fan 180

Lightly beat the egg with the flour, salt, slowly adding the milk to form a smooth batter

Grease the pie dish, add half of the cheese to the batter, pour onto the dish, dot with the tomatoes and bake for 30 minutes. I cooked mine on the middle shelf, which seemed about right.


Top with the remaining cheese and return to the oven until the cheese has melted and is all lovely and golden brown. Allow to cool for a couple of minutes in the dish, it will make it easier to remove from the dish


Cut into slices and enjoy! I imagine a salad would be good alongside but as we had salad for lunch yesterday, we just ate it on its own.

6 comments:

  1. Hmmm... like you I would have wondered about this.... but that looks lovely, Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne,

    Are you aware of Sarah @ Maison Cupcake's Nigella events?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! I love the idea of combining the cherry tomatoes with the batter - it looks to have turned out beautifully :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks yummy! I have the book and didn't give this recipe a second glance, but yours looks so tasty in the photo that I'll definitely be making it over the weekend.

    Also I am jealous of your Le Creuset pie dish :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wendy - yes was very much hmm even right up to slicing it but so glad I did make it!

    Helen - yes, will try and remember next time!

    Jan - it was really good :)

    Catherine - I loved the tomatoes, I don't think it would be as nice without them

    Aveen - do revisit your copy! And yes, she is very treasured and beautiful ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my kitchen! I love to hear your thoughts and comments on my recipes!

Anne

01 09 10