Saturday 10 October 2009

Jaffa Drizzle Loaf

I saw this recipe a while back and had snagged it, however it appeared again in a little booklet with Good Food this month and reminded me to make it as we had family over for dinner this week.

This cake has a really lovely texture, with a delicious orangey scent. The chocolate is supposed to be drizzled over, however mine had other idea's so I smothered it instead, which I feel was a much better result! I think next time I will up the orange juice amount but overall it was a very delicious cake.



Ingredients

140g butter , softened
200g self-raising flour
1 1⁄2 tsp baking powder
200g golden caster sugar
3 large eggs
6 tbsp milk
finely grated zest 1 large orange

TO FINISH

3 tbsp orange juice
50g golden caster sugar
50g dark chocolate

Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Butter and line the base of a 1.2-litre loaf tin. Put all the cake ingredients into a bowl and beat with a hand whisk or wooden spoon for 3-5 mins, until light and fluffy. Spoon the mix into the tin and level the top.
Bake for 40-50 mins, until golden brown and firm to the touch. Meanwhile, heat the orange juice and sugar gently in a small pan, stirring until dissolved. When the cake is cooked, remove it from the oven and spoon over the orange mix. Leave to cool in the tin, then remove and cool completely on a wire rack.

Break up the chocolate and melt over a pan of simmering water or in the microwave on Medium for 1-2 mins. Drizzle over the cake and leave to set.

15 comments:

  1. This sounds like something that my son, the chocoholic, would like. What have you sprinkled on top of the chocolate, Ann?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this cake once then ended up in hospital the same day so I never got to taste it :( I think i'll have to make it again!

    Looks fab Anne!

    Katie xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! This is a favourite recipe of mine, which I found long ago and it was just called Orange Cake! You will be interested to hear that the icing in my recipe wasn't drizzled, but spread over the top and sides. It had a bit of added coffee and sour cream so it was more of a ganache.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Suelle - am sure he will like it! The topping bits are from Lakelands which I bought at easter, is a four-part pot with little chicks, yellow sparkles, orange & lemon coloured sugar bits and lime, orange and lemon coloured sprinkles. Just checked, they are made by Fiddes Payne :)

    Katie - sounds like you must make again, sorry to hear you ended up in hospital!! x

    Joy - that topping sounds delicious, I just dipped a piece of this cake in my coffee and tasted lovely together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hiya!

    We heard about you on Twitter, and I love what you are doing... Thank you!

    We have a group of websites, The Organic Home, http://bit.ly/1z9Dz and we would love to explore ways of communicating and sharing with you.

    To share ideas, information and plans would be such an exciting and positive way to go forward for us. We offer link exchange, we publish your blogs on our ‘guest wellness blog’, with full attribution and hotlinks direct to you, and offer full page listings on our ‘guest organic site’ page. These are found on our ‘organic growth’ page… http://bit.ly/OHs53

    It would be our honour to be able represent you in some way. There is no change for these services, they are free. Our sites had over 8.5 Million hits last month and to share our growth with you would be our honour and privilege.

    Here at The Organic Home we say ‘we give to you'...

    Mark Golding
    www.theorganichome.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can't go wrong with orange and chocolate!
    The cake looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. God, that looks good Anne! I am going downstairs to make it right away and I am not joking!I should have time before I head off to work. I will try extra orange juice in mine and let you know how I get on :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great cake Anne. I think I must make this for my husband.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OK, so it is wonderful. Light and moist, the smell of oranges is divine and it is all finished off with some lovely dark chocolate. What more could you ask for? I will be making it again soon. Could you tell me what you sprinkled yours with Anne?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sam - many thanks, I do think the chocolate covering looks better than drizzled!

    Jacqueline - I think I should of added this to the post re topping as Suelle asked too, The topping bits are from Lakelands which I bought at easter, is a four-part pot with little chicks, yellow sparkles, orange & lemon coloured sugar bits and lime, orange and lemon coloured sprinkles. Just checked, they are made by Fiddes Payne :) So glad you enjoyed it! Did you add more orange in the end?

    Margaret - am sure he will love it! Was very popular here! My boyfriend finished it off with chocolate custard :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Anne, I did add more orange. I added 2 tbsp orange juice to the cake mix and used the rest of the squeezed orange juice and sugar to coat the cake with when it came out of the oven. It was lovely and orangey.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Jacqueline, many thanks for coming back to me. The extra orange sounds fab and will definately make the adjustments next time around! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I particularly like the topping on your gorgeous cake!
    Nice blog make over too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your jaffa loaf looks so yummy ! I like orangey flavor. Miss the Jaffa cakes, don't have them in Switzerland.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my kitchen! I love to hear your thoughts and comments on my recipes!

Anne

01 09 10