Thursday, 8 January 2015

Crème de Cassis Marshmallows with Chocolate Sauce

Despite having a fairly sweet tooth and trying a fair few sweet things at home over the years, for some reason making my own marshmallow had never entered my mind to make at home – that was until Sainsbury's kindly sent me one of their new Marshmallow making  kits to play with!
Making the marshmallow was easy and I had such a fun evening creating them! It was like a weird science experiment where three sachets either boiled, beaten, heated or used to dust cling film worked some kind of magic alchemy into a billowing soft pink cloud of goo! I can't wait to get my hands on another box and see what happens!
I spent a long time trying to decide what flavour to make my marshmallow, being fairly inexperienced with the whole marshmallow affair and how adding anything might affect its magic but the eventual choice of a swig of Crème de Cassis was a success. It added a fruity hint to the mallow and gave it also a more naughty adult theme to them!
The sauce is completely optional and wasn't overly measured - was more a bit of this and that kind of sauce but it does go very well with the marshmallows!

Ingredients:

1 box Sainsburys Marshmallow making kit
6 tbsp Crème de cassis
100g Dark chocolate
Knob butter
½ cup Milk
1 tbsp golden syrup

Prepare the marshmallow packets as instructed on the box.

When the sugar syrup has been prepared, stir through half of the Crème de Cassis. and put the rest to one side.

Assemble the gelatine mix as instructed and when ready, add the prepared sugar syrup to the mixer and beat on a high speed until its trebled - mine took a good 10 minutes so give it time!

When the mixture is ready , pour into a icing sugar dusted tray and using a fork swirl through the remaining crème de cassis and leave overnight or for at least a few hours in the fridge to set.
Gently heat the butter in a heavy based saucepan (or in a bowl over boiling water), add the chocolate chunks and allow to melt, whisk in the golden syrup and milk and bring to the boil, take off the heat and keep stirring until fully combined, allow to cool slightly.


Using a very sharp knife, dusted in icing sugar cut the marshmallow into chunks:



If sauce is floating your boat then pour over the mallow, allow to set slightly if you can before diving in. Its delicious!

Sorry for the awful photo! We enjoyed it too much!



I won't lie its messy stuff but entirely worth it!

Many thanks to Sainsbury's who provided the kit and vouchers to cover other ingredients and my time.

2 comments:

  1. I've never tried making my own marshmallows. Glad you enjoyed it :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - I have never made marshmallow...who knew you could!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my kitchen! I love to hear your thoughts and comments on my recipes!

Anne

01 09 10