Monday, 2 June 2014

Smoked Salmon and Mustardy Jersey Royal Salad

Right now in Sainsbury's you can pick up some fabulous fresh British produce including creamy Jersey Royal new potatoes, which fondly remind me of being fortunate enough to be there this time last year seeing them being picked! I even bought some back from a local farm that had been freshly picked that morning! However whilst its not quite feasible to have them quite that fresh Sainsburys fly their potatoes over daily so its pretty close! As I was using such tasty, fresh and British ingredients, I wanted to keep lunch simple and managed to combine them along with some other great foods all lightly bathed in a simple mustardy dressing. Just enough to flavour and not over power!

A few years ago I really was just not interested in Smoked Salmon. We were never posh enough growing up to really ever get a taste for it but on the few rare times I ate it, it left me underwhelmed. It was like, oh its on my plate. Better eat it then...Munch munch chew chew...Though like with wine, some things improve with age for example my tastebud's which now happily savour Smoked Salmon! 

So since I have been developing a taste for it, there is not a huge amount of smoked salmon recipes in my repertoire and to be honest its pretty darn good straight from the packet so it doesn't need very much doing with it, however if you can spare a little of it then I can vouch for the Speyside Whisky Smoked Salmon, which was on special last week at Sainsbury's, and its beautiful, a lovely slightly sweet and smoky flavour and 'meaty' texture. 

So with all these fabulous British ingredients I created this easy salad which is perfect for warm days when you don't fancy doing very much in the kitchen! I also added a little finely shredded red cabbage to create a contrasting crunchy texture and some gorgeously green peashoots for colour! Always good to feast the eyes too I think! I hope you enjoy it!


Now I will be honest in that nothing was exactly measured, you could make this for one or ten just scale up and down to how many tummies you are feeding! I had leftovers for lunch today, still delicious!


This is enough to serve 2 -3 adults

350g Jersey royal potatoes,
2 inches cucumber, halved, de-seeded and sliced thinly
1/2 packet Speyside Whisky cask smoked salmon or similar
1/2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
2 tbsp rapeseed oil
1/6th red cabbage, very finely shredded
1 tsp lemon juice
30g peashoots

Start by halving the potatoes and slice at an angle into 1cm wedges. Boil or steam for 15-18 minutes or until tender and cooked through.


Place the shredded cabbage in a bowl and drizzle over the lemon juice. Leave to one side.

Whisk the mustard and oil together. Drain the cooked potatoes and pour over the dressing, allow to cool for about 5 minutes before assembling on a nice plate or serving bowl along with the cucumber, red cabbage, peashoots and Smoked Salmon. Drizzle over any remaining dressing.



Many thanks to Saisnburys who kindly provided vouchers to cover the cost of the recipe and its development.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my kitchen! I love to hear your thoughts and comments on my recipes!

Anne

01 09 10