Tuesday, 11 February 2014

Pork Enchiladas with Spicy Rice

This is the second part of my making your roast go further theme in conjunction with Sainsburys', and used up some of the leftover Slow roasted Apple and Ginger Pork Shoulder that I made a few weeks back, along with some basics items from their range. Its a great way to use leftover pork without making it feel like second best - we really enjoyed this meal and it was also pretty tasty too when cold the next day for our lunch!


I think I've only made enchiladas once or twice and spent a fair time researching the different names for dishes involving tortilla wraps – there’s are few of them! Amazingly versatile ingredient, we are rarely without a packet in the cupboard! Anyway this is meant to be in no way authentically Mexican, however it was delicious and fed us well so without spending very much!

Halfway though cooking this I decided I wanted sour cream to go on the side, however it was Sunday night and not an option around here but I had some double cream in the fridge, and lemon juice and thought I could make my own..... This is not advisable. I discovered you get wonderful thick cream but not sour cream! However I did use it anyway to go in the tomato sauce so it wasn’t the end of the world!

Ingredients:
  
Filling:
4 garlic tortilla wraps
½ red onion
245g leftover slow cooked pork shoulder, well shredded
1 tsp cumin seed
1 tomato, chopped
150ml vegetable stock (made with ½ basics vegetable stock cube)
2tsp ground coriander 
2 tsp dried oregano
100g cooked cabbage or similar vegetable
2 spring onions, shredded  - use white parts only for cooking – save green bits for garnish 
1 tbsp veg oil

Sauce:
Carton Sainsbury's  basics chopped tomatoes
1 tsp red wine vinegar 
50g grated cheddar 
1 tsp red chilli paste 
2 tsp oregano dried 
2 tbsp cream or similar item I.e. sour cream/ creme fraiche - optional

Rice:
175g Sainsbury's basics white rice (measure in a bowl, use 2 x volume amount of stock)
200g cooked kidney beans 
1 tsp cumin seed 
½ Sainsbury's basics vegetable stock cube 
1 tsp veg oil

Start by making the filling. Saute the onion in a little oil until softened and golden, add the white spring onion, spices and tomato, and gently fry for about 5 minutes, or until the tomato has softened. Add the stock, pork and cooked vegetables and simmer for 10 minutes until its a looseish consistency but not soggy either! Transfer to a bowl to cool slightly.

Pre- heat oven to 200.

In the now empty frying pan, put all the sauce ingredients apart from the cheese and bring to the boil and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring regularly. Remove from the heat and stir through the cream.

Start assembling the enchiladas by warming the wraps in the oven for a couple of minutes to soften or in the microwave. Place a quarter of the filling on one side of the wrap, and carefully turn in the opposite sides and fold over the bottom, tightly into a roll to make a parcel. Place on a suitable baking dish (line if necessary - mine stuck despite it being non-stick!!) and repeat with the further wraps.

Once all the wraps and assembled, spoon over the tomato sauce and sprinkle with the cheese and the green spring onion parts. Bake for about 15/20 minutes or until the cheese is golden and bubbling. 

Meanwhile cook the rice - fry the oil and cumin seeds for a minute, then stir in the rice and beans, cover with two times the rice volume in vegetable stock - sorry I didn't measure in grams as I always cook rice this way until the liquid has absorbed. It should be slightly sticky texture wise - you won't need to drain it.


The Basics rice was not my normal purchase as I love basmati rice, however after being combined with the spices and beans it tasted pretty good. B didn't complain anyway! It is mainly made up of broken grains, and produces a more wetter rice, sort of like pudding rice in texture. Still good though and very cheap at 45p per kilo!


So by using a mixture of my Roast Pork leftovers, and combining with some Basics items I’ve shown you can still eat well on a budget and hope I will inspire you to as well! I costed this recipe at approximately £2.10 for all four portions.

Happy cooking!

Disclaimer: Many thanks to Sainsburys for the box of goodies that I received. I also received vouchers to cover my expenses and time developing the recipe

5 comments:

  1. anything mexican, in a wrap with cheese is pure heaven to me. This looks wonderful x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to use up roast pork. I love to create entirely new recipes with leftovers so that they don't feel like 'leftovers' and this fits the bill perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look yummy. I love any type of filled tortilla dish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh this looks absolutely gorgeous, just my kind of meal! Might have a go at making my own spicy rice in future instead of just getting pre done packets. I like your plates aswell! Let me know if you try pistachio ice cream - the recipe I used didn't say you had to use an ice cream maker so you should totally try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely delicious extra long grain basmati rice,classic recipe..looks divine.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my kitchen! I love to hear your thoughts and comments on my recipes!

Anne

01 09 10